Tuesday, August 01, 2006

CROCS CROCS AND MORE CROCS

I've never been so popular. Never. Who knew a post about Crocs could cause such an uproar? Arouse such passions? Pull so many opinionated folks out of the woodwork? Not I.

Fair readers, you only get to see the comments the brave and the brazen post on the blogsite. But trust me, I've had other emails and calls too. There's a war going on and the folks are up in arms. But not about the Middle East. About Crocs.

So here's what we know: they start in kids' size 8/9 in Canada, but you can find falsies that are smaller - now that's not something you hear too often, is it?! There are knock offs on just about every corner and, rumour has it they even have Croc kiosks at airports popular with holidaymakers. Like, er, Boston. We also know it ain't the shoe that's stinky. Sorry kids, but my sources have found that it's not the wear, it's the wearer!

So yeah, every kid and their father seem to have Crocs. A friend of mine who swore she'd never succumb to peer pressure did just that - and her whole family's Crocified. One of my candy mags even had a pic of my Man's man Jack wearing them. Navy ones. The caption? "This trend must end". I guess Mr. Nicholson is where fashion trends go to die. Tho' it doesn't seem so.

As y'all know I had trouble tracking them down. (And thanks to everyone with their tips, spottings and sightings. How ridiculous is this? For shoes? Hideous shoes?) When I finally tracked down a couple of pairs of honest-to-goodness eyesores I was shocked. Talk about a feeding frenzy! And it was all about the butchy navy Crocs. Everyone was after them. I snagged a couple of pairs - for boys big and small - and proudly made my way home. Triumphant.

My Man wears his - but is very selfconscious about it. Not only because they're the summer Ugg, but because duh, they're the summer ugly. He's no trendoid so he was a little tense. Until we went walking and it rained and they were so comfortable - wet AND dry blah blah blah. But my boy - he ain't convinced. Like his mama, he knows the good from the bad and the ugly. And he refuses to put them on his feet. Not even 3 years old and already a shoe snob. That's my baby!!

Ladies, please, trust me. Ditch the Crocs unless you're gardening. DO try them at home - but not in public. If your teenage daughters want them, by all means, encourage it. Hell, buy 'em two pairs. They're so unsexy, they're prophylactic. Again, let's remind ourselves: they're cute and comfy and useful. FOR CHILDREN. AND MEN. No woman really wants a purely "useful" shoe. It's like getting cleaning gear for Mother's Day. And who the hell wants THAT?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love love your blogs,I hate the crocs but they seem not to make your feet smell, a very important issue as you age.