Wednesday, February 20, 2008

ANDROGYNY IDOL

The writers are back. The Oscars are a-go-go. And American Idol has gone....Androg?! What?

I know it's been on for a couple of weeks now. And yes, I watch it and love it with or without writers striking. I cried for that poor girl who lost her dad and auditioned two days later. Come to think of it, it is a bit weird but hey, that's TV. And that poor boy who lived in his car? The Leo DiCaprio lookalike? He was ever so Christopher McCandless, but striking out for the wilds of Hollywood instead of Alaska. Devastated when he didn't make it. But there's always next year. And that guy from the town of 220? The one whose mom wanted a homecoming queen, but just got...the queen? What happened to him? I'll be looking for both boys in Season 8.

But let's discuss the boys of Season 7. Mostly forgettable, to be sure. But so many ladyboys! And so many girlymen. I'm not just talking sexual orientation. I'm talking s/he. I'm sorry, but Danny Noriega would make for a stunning woman. And tho' he channeled Jonathan Rhys Meyers rather than Elvis last night, I loved him. He's got my vote.

As does the Youngster. David Thingy. Usually they get some young dude who blows (not in a good way). But this time, the 16-year old of the week (or did he say he turned 17?) was unf&ckingbelievable. He has my vote too.

As does Dreads Travolta, the stoner of the group. Did anyone else notice how, despite the crazy locks and the hippy vibe, the guy is a shoo in for our beloved Danny Zuko? Who wouldn't vote for that? I would.

And finally, my fave, Michael Johns. Or is it John Michaels? Y'know, the last guy. The Man. The only one of the lot who ooooooooozed it. Love love love him. As a tv crush only of course. And maybe because he looks like my favourite hockey card, the almost-has-been, Darcy Tucker. (Long live #16! Long live no trade clauses!)

But my guy Si was right on the money, all night long. The Manly Man from Oz has "it". It = sex. There were the guys who radiated Christian country and/or 50's whitey pop groups. Or some wholesome combo. And the indistinguishable boy band graduates, nary a T-lake among 'em. Or that horrible Axel Rose wannabee. Who wears a bandana that screams "botox me?" Seriously, didn't that strange design look like eyeborws that needed lifting, or at the very least, plucking? Eeeeew, I nealry forgot about that other faux-rocker with the terrible comb-over. And don't get me started on that theatrical Chuck 'n Buck fellow. Gross.

Oh Idol....I'm so glad you're back. Bring on the androg, the youngster, the dreads. And of course, the hottie. They've all got my vote. Too bad it doesn't count.

Oh wait! I almost forgot to mention Chickezie Jacuzzi. He of the orange suit and lovely demeanor. He's sweet. he can sing. But does he have what it takes to be remembered? I thought so last night, but obviously in the cold light of day he falls a little short....

Last year, the ladies kicked butt - Be Bop Blake notwithstanding. And tonight, it's Ladies' night. Show 'em girls. I dare you....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fact that you can reference Danny Zuko and Darcy Tucker in one entry both awes and frightens me.