Saturday, May 24, 2008

BOOB

What's in a name? Everything. BOOB!! You're up now, right?!

Boob is a newish (to me) line of maternity and nursing wear from Sweden. Yep, Sweden. Those crazy Swedes have gone and named nursing clothes Boob.

Genius.

In name and in nature.

I managed to get my paws on some of their duds and they're awesome. Pants stay up. In front and in back. Shirts don't touch where they shouldn't. In front or in back. And everything stays in its proper place. Properly. Better still, the Boobs at Boob are anything but - they know how to drop a neckline. I have a dress from their fall collection that's lightweight AND maternity AND, dare I say, kinda hot. And I don't use the term lightly. Cuz there's nothing hot about a gal about to give birth in a matter of weeks. Nothin' but hormones and tempers.

And the Boob neckline.

One thing about being knocked up - you sport a mighty fine rack. You may not always recognize it at the time, but in retrospect? Nice 'n high 'n perky. Even the jumbotrons. And for those of us who are somewhat, erm, challenged in that department, when we've got 'em, we like to flaunt 'em. And Boob gets it. Lots of other tops made for the mama-to-be like to minimize. High necks. Cheesy collars. Wussy V's. Go deep or go home, I say. Swing out sisters! Cuz once the babe arrives it's all downhill. In every way, boob-wise.

Or is it?

I'm pretty hard-core when it came to feeding my kids, whipping one out as and when. Was I strutting round topless? Of course not. But my feeling is, babies have the right to be fed. And if you don't want to watch? Well, don't look. It's possible to be subtle. And stylish too. I was never a believer in "nursing wear". Bras aside, o' course. But those weird shirts that you need a degree in aeronautics to open? Pas pour moi. And those godawful frilly nightgowns? Get real. I'd rather stretch out a perfectly good shirt and look somewhat decent in the hours between the feeds then strut around town like some Victorian. One friend of mine had an incredible nursing dress. It came from Victoria's secret. And she lost it and we've never seen the likes of it since.

'Til now. The Boob nursing tops - or singlets - have these strategic slots. Spots. Openings. Hard to explain. But easy to figure out - basically you lift up one side, drop down the other and you're locked 'n loaded. And, again, they're totally hot. In fact, you could wear these babies even if you're not nursing. You wouldn't, to be sure, but you could. Which, to a nursing mama, is nice to know.


I know I'm sounding somewhat evangelical. I swear it's not just hormones speaking. And if it is? So what?! I have a baby due in 3 weeks, it's my perogative. Between the hips and the hormones, it's hard to feel anything but frumpy. Or at least it was. 'Til I became a Boob girl.

Check out their racks: www.boobdesign.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend who is normally so wise- lemme tellya a little something about minimizing (from someone who often seeks to minimize): High necks maximize not minimize! (Strange but true....low necks actually minimize.) Too bad I missed my chance to shop at boob. I will pass it on though.