Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'M UP NOW

Well, well, well. I stand corrected - and joyfully so. They got it right! They veered off the middle of the road and got, ahem, Cookin'!

David Cook is The American Idol. Duh - what rock have you been under??

Mouth breather out. Rocker in. 80's icons on. Now that's good tv. Just when you thought it was safe....It wasn't!

I actually loved the big finale. Despite the fect that, at the exact moment Ryan uttered the magic words, "the winner is...". Poof! (No, not Ryan...) (well, OK that too). But at that exact second -Poof! - the show ended. My PVR failed me. Again. Luckily I've learned from seasons of yore to record whatever's on next. So we switched over in time to see Fartchuleta's stage dad clapping insincerely. And that's when I knew, it was Cook time. Thank god, on so many levels. Can you imagine the stage dad's reactions had his dullard child won? Waaaaay OTT. And the press? Gee. Duh. Erm...

Instead we got tears. Lots of 'em. Betcha the word nerd wished he didn't choose this night to start wearing eyeliner, huh? Obviously he went for water-proof. I knew he was a smarty! And the brotherly love. And the mom trying to get in on the spotlight. A family affair.....How lovely.

But back to the show.....Graham Nash? Lucky Brookey. Donna Summer? Lucky ladies. Syesha - way to work third sister! Her skirts get shorter and her confidence grows. It just goes to show you, she really was the best of the girlies - mainly because of the meat, but still - can you imagine the nurse? She seemed embarrassed to be there. Unlike Chickezie - love, love, love.

It was 80's night (aside from the slew of youths that I fast forwarded). Showing my age, perhaps, but I'm about to turn 40, I can do what I like. ZZ Top, the Groover from Vancouver, Seal....yada yada yada. At the end of the day, the faux pips aside, for me it was all about George.

LOVE HIM.

All season long I've been wondering why they didn't do the George Michael/Wham songbook. He's on tour (at over 2 hun a ticket, sadly), has a new greatest hits album to promote, has been whoring himself out nicely across the small screen. The timing couldn't be any better. And he would've been perfect for Cookie and the Aussie. Still, waiting 'til the end was OK. Sure he sang a slow song. With a cold (and acknowledged it, bless him and his ego). Despite his fromagerie, his lady Loren shades, and his possible plugs, he's still awesome. And somehow reminding me of Christian Troy - anyone else getting that?

Simon apologizes. Archie loses. DC wins. And another season of Idol come to a close.

Happy endings to all, and to all a good night.

Now who's got tickets to the Top Ten tour?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you think George had acold I have some swamp land for you in Florida! He looked like a wreck - kind of Freddy Mercury although George's issue is drugs and it shows on his person and his voice. I thought it was an imposter at one point!

Throw back night galore - loved it! ZZ TOP was the best and I think Carly and Michael should put out a duets album together a la Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross (by the way - it's not Lawrence - it's me!)

Rayanne said...

What a solid synopsis of the final show! I didn't realize the producers let David A's dad back in the audience after he was given the initial boot. Heh.